The Vein Treatment Center has been treating hand veins since 1982. When evaluating prominent veins in the hands we also evaluate for other issues that are making them look the way they do. The three main factors that make hands look “old” include: 1) most importantly thick bulging veins that protrude from the back of your hand, 2) age spots, 3) and loss of tissue.
People are more sophisticated and fashionable and are finding better and safer ways to perfect themselves. Our hands age faster than any other part of the body, and can easily give our age away. Although prominent hand veins are healthy veins that return blood to the heart, some may become bulgy and protrude at the back of the hand with age due to three factors: 1) the loss of skin and vein wall elasticity, 2) loss of subcutaneous fat and collagen 3) and water content of the tissues.
Hand veins are treated with ‘painless sclerotherapy’ in a 15-20 minute procedure. Following injections you will be required to wear compression gloves for 12 hours and will be able to return to your normal activity immediately except for any strenuous exercise (gym), which you can return the next day. For best results you may need to come in for 1-3 treatments. After the treatment we will need to see you for possible trapped blood.
Sclerotherapy of the hand veins is an extremely safe procedure. There have been no complications regarding hand injections for over 30 years. After the treatment there is minimal black and blue and occasionally mild swelling for 24 hours. Sclerotherapy treatment is the best and the gold standard for treating hand veins. In rare cases mini-phlebectomy may be used. The outcome is excellent with long-lasting results.
Bulging Veins, as stated above, are the most important factor that gives away aging hands. To turn back the clock and maintain a youthful appearance, we close off these veins with sclerotherapy. It is painless, simple and safe procedure. There are more than enough veins deep in the hand to maintain proper blood flow. Although occasionally mini phlebotomy or EVLT are used, sclerotherapy is by far the treatment of choice for hand veins.
Age Spots are the small, brownish dots that appear on the back of the hands after years of sun damage. Fortunately, the spots can be easily eliminated with a laser and other forms of treatments (cold, peelings…)
Loss of Tissue is caused by a decrease in subcutaneous fat, muscle and collagen production giving to the back of the hands a boney and thin appearance. Many women are discovering that this occurs on the back of the hands, as they focus all of their anti-aging efforts on their face for years. To solve this issue, fillers, fat injections, and "growth factors" may also be used to plump and fill in the tissue that has been lost.
These veins only represent a cosmetic problem and are not a sign of any other health issues.
- Hands age faster than any other part of the body and some hand veins tend to become bulgy and protrude due to 1) the loss of skin and vein wall elasticity, 2) loss of subcutaneous fat and collagen 3) and water content of the tissues.
- Sclerotherapy is the treatment of choice and standard for treating hand veins. Usually 1-3 treatments are needed. In rare cases mini-phlebectomy may be used.
- There are no complications regarding hand injections. After treatment there is minimal black and blue and occasionally mild swelling for 24 hours. We will need to see you for possible trapped blood.
- The outcome is excellent with long-lasting results.
- Once the veins have been treated and if age spots are present they may be treated with laser or other means. If your hands are boney and thin, they can be helped with injections of fillers or growth factors.
- The cost for hand injections is $1,000 for the first treatment and $500 for any treatment after that.